Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nurse Week & Women

So called nursing appreciation week ends today, which was also the birth day of Florence Nightingale. I have always loved her story and always appreciated what she did for humanity. For some reason she gets my respect and not so called Mother Teresa and Madam Curie. There are very few women who have successfully surpassed the great challenge of overcoming the difficult situations set up by the men and served humanity. She is very few of countable names that comes to my mind with immense respect and appreciation.

Women have been always dominated both physically and emotionally over thousands of years. They have been misused, mistreated, and unrespected everywhere. Be it in a house as a wife, or in office she works, or in the streets she walks. They are used in nude magazines, in advertisement boards, used for entertainment purposes, used as attraction and nothing else.

You go to a business, you see a cute but dumb clerk in the front desk. Every great business and every successful boss wants some hot female secretary. Television add? Bikini girls. Car sales-half- naked girls. Artists best so called modern arts- nude oil painting. It is disappointing to see the way they are never really appreciated for their emotional part but only looked as some cute things to attract idiots. And what about few women in human history? Only political, some bogus religious propaganda like Teresa is given noble prize. Noble prize means nothing for me if it’s that stupid. It does not serve any purposes. But who cares, noble prize has been very cheap these days; in the sense that they are given away in a lottery picking way. Nobel prize is overrated.

Nightingale, as I have read in my curious childhood days, is still my hero(heroine). The story always attracts me. “The Lady with the Lamp”- I have always loved it. Last month, I met a nurse in Baylor from South India, Lilly during my waiting there for my cousin and I did not see her to say thank you when my cousin was discharged. I feel some guilt but it was not my fault, she was not scheduled that day. Anyway, humanity has more value than politics and religion.

To all the nurses: my sincere appreciation of what they do everyday. A popular poem on F. Nightiangale.

Lo! in that house of misery


A lady with a lamp I see

Pass through the glimmering gloom,

And flit from room to room.


05/12/2010



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *